Monday, September 27, 2010

Guiding Australians around Kamakura

[Date and Time] Monday, September 27, at 10:50~16:30
[Spots] Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine, Kamakurabori Museum, Hasedera Temple, and Kotokuin Temple (Great Buddha)
[Visitors] An Australian family of three and a daughter’s friend .
[Attendant] 1 KSGG member
[Language] English

The husband, who wholesales wine in Sydney, Australia, and his family came to Japan to visit Tokyo, Kamakura, Kyoto, Nara, and Hiroshima. Being a kind father, he wanted his daughter, l6, a high school student, to have some cross-cultural experiences while she still depends on him. He said they would stay in Japan for about two weeks for her daughter’s precious experience. Also, he brought the best friend of his daughter here, as she wanted to come to Japan.
As they had already visited the sights of Tokyo, I scarcely had to tell them about our manners to visit a shrine and a temple, and our fortune slips. Since I had expected at the start that it would rain all day long, I thought our touring time would be left over if we would decide to cancel our visits to some places because of rain. So I added a tour of Kamakura Sculpture Museum to our plan.
At Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine, they had a lively interest in the horseback archery and, at Hasedera Temple, a thousand images of Jizo. The wife, who made the itinerary, said, “I was very happy to meet the Great Buddha.” She also said that she was very happy to be in Kamakura, the atmosphere of which is really calm and quiet. Incidentally, she learned about our organization through the Internet.