
[Date & Time] Wednesday, July 8, through Saturday, July 11
[Participating Countries] 20 African countries: Egypt, Ethiopia, Ghana, Gabon, Cameroon, Kenya, Côte d’Ivoire, Congo, Djibouti, Zimbabwe, Senegal, Tanzania, Tunisia, Botswana, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Morocco, Rwanda, and Lesotho
[Participants] 28 students
[Hosts] 28 families
[Volunteers] 35 interpreters, including 7 KSGG members
[Participating Countries] 20 African countries: Egypt, Ethiopia, Ghana, Gabon, Cameroon, Kenya, Côte d’Ivoire, Congo, Djibouti, Zimbabwe, Senegal, Tanzania, Tunisia, Botswana, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Morocco, Rwanda, and Lesotho
[Participants] 28 students
[Hosts] 28 families
[Volunteers] 35 interpreters, including 7 KSGG members
☆ Moonwalk dancing in return for our welcome
I accompanied a 17-year-old high school student who came from the Republic of Djibouti. We arrived at Heian Elementary School in Tsurumi Ward, Yokohama, and I interpreted to all the pupils what he said about himself. After that we attended a welcome ceremony at the gym where about 150 6-grade pupils were waiting for us.
We first listened to their good welcome speeches and choruses, which the pupils must have practiced for many days, and, finally, we had a question time. I was surprised when one of the pupils said to him, “Do you like Michael Jackson?” and he demonstrated a wonderful “moonwalk” in return for their
welcome. His performance won a burst of applause from the pupils and teachers. At the end, in spite of their school hours, all the 6-grade pupils made a runway up to the gate to see us off.
☆ Exchange between African high school students and Japanese elementary and high
school students in Yokohama--Attending them as interpreter
I accompanied a high school student from Ethiopia for 4 days as interpreter. Muslim as he was, the student and his Christian friend from the same country put their arms around each other just like brothers do.
He said he would study genetic engineering, while his friend said he would like to be a space engineer. Both of them told the Japanese students enthusiastically about their dreams as they will shoulder the growth of their country. Also, he had a chance to talk about his dream to the Crown Prince and Princess when he happened to meet them at Sankeien Garden, which he said had encouraged him to materialize his dream by all means. As he said he would come back to Japan to that end, I was so moved by his purity and high resolution that I would like to continue supporting him more and more. When he thanked me a lot for my attendance, my heart leaped up as well. I hope to get involved in this African Project from now onward.
I accompanied a 17-year-old high school student who came from the Republic of Djibouti. We arrived at Heian Elementary School in Tsurumi Ward, Yokohama, and I interpreted to all the pupils what he said about himself. After that we attended a welcome ceremony at the gym where about 150 6-grade pupils were waiting for us.
We first listened to their good welcome speeches and choruses, which the pupils must have practiced for many days, and, finally, we had a question time. I was surprised when one of the pupils said to him, “Do you like Michael Jackson?” and he demonstrated a wonderful “moonwalk” in return for their
welcome. His performance won a burst of applause from the pupils and teachers. At the end, in spite of their school hours, all the 6-grade pupils made a runway up to the gate to see us off.☆ Exchange between African high school students and Japanese elementary and high
school students in Yokohama--Attending them as interpreter
I accompanied a high school student from Ethiopia for 4 days as interpreter. Muslim as he was, the student and his Christian friend from the same country put their arms around each other just like brothers do.
He said he would study genetic engineering, while his friend said he would like to be a space engineer. Both of them told the Japanese students enthusiastically about their dreams as they will shoulder the growth of their country. Also, he had a chance to talk about his dream to the Crown Prince and Princess when he happened to meet them at Sankeien Garden, which he said had encouraged him to materialize his dream by all means. As he said he would come back to Japan to that end, I was so moved by his purity and high resolution that I would like to continue supporting him more and more. When he thanked me a lot for my attendance, my heart leaped up as well. I hope to get involved in this African Project from now onward.