Sunday, August 18, 2013

Guiding JICA Participants around Kamakura

[Date & Time] Sunday, August 18, at 11:00~16:40

[The Meeting-place] The Clock-Tower Open Space at the west entrance of Kamakura Station
[Spots]Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine, Hasedera Temple, and Kotokuin Temple (Great Buddha)
[Visitors]16 JICA participants, 2 from Afghanistan, 2 from Malaysia, 1 from Oman, 2 from El Salvador, 2 from Dominica, 1 from Nicaragua, 1 from Panama, 2 from Costa Rica, 2 from Honduras, and 1 from Guatemala
[Attendants] 12 KSGG members and 1 observer
[Languages] English and Spanish

I guided a group of the participants all from Central America in Spanish.  We visited Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine.  I explained about the history of Genpei-ike Pond, yabusame (the art of shooting arrows on horseback), chozuya (wash basin), and maiden stage, and we proceeded to the main hall.  Visitors from Asian countries usually buy omamori (a charm) or try omikuji (paper fortune).  Yet members of this group were not interested in them.  At Hasedera Temple, we enjoyed seeing beautiful landscape from the observation platform.  I explained about the history of the Great Buddha and how it was built at Kotokuin Temple.  We visited Yuigahama Beach, where the tour ended.