
[Date and Time] Tuesday, June 2, at 10:00 ~ 18:45
Wednesday, June 3, at 10:00 ~ 18:30
[Place] Machizukuri Plaza, Minato-Mirai 21
[Attendants] 16 KSGG members and 1 guest
Wednesday, June 3, at 10:00 ~ 18:30
[Place] Machizukuri Plaza, Minato-Mirai 21
[Attendants] 16 KSGG members and 1 guest
★ Broad Researches into Japan--Realized anew
The Japan Research Center, which is organized by well-known 15 universities in North America, had its “Final Presentations” by its graduates, and I attended the first-day session. The students, who had been through with their special courses, came to Japan to study advanced Japanese and the social phenomena of Japan for 40 weeks for their presentations. As the MC said, “They had been told to make a chat and even a joke among them in Japanese,” I could see how thoroughgoing their efforts had really been.
At their presentations, I was surprised again by their good Japanese and the substance of their researches. Their themes, which were broad and substantially advanced, ranged from issues in the past such as time awareness in the Edo period, emigrations to Southeast Asia during the Meiji and Taisho periods, and the post-war “Problem of children of mixed parentage” to the present issues, including their own experiences of job hunting, translating and subtitling animated films by themselves over their websites, and the length of period needed for licensing new medicines. It was an opportunity even for me Japanese to know more about Japan than I had expected to.
Personally, I felt something youthful in their presentations with humor and their questions and answers. Also, I was impressed with their pronunciation of English as a foreign language that was entirely in a Japanese style. I am sure they must have studied Japanese concentratedly. For that matter, I do honor to the professors for their efforts. I understand that the number of graduates has reached more than 1,500, and all of them are active in various fields all over the world. Also, a lot of books written by those gradudates were exhibited at the hall. I do hope that the graduates will be a bridge between the two countries and Japan in the future by making the most of what they learned at the JRC.
In addition, I would like to introduce the titles of some other presentations:
- Iconography of Buddhism and Social Movement
- Works of Yuichi Takahashi and his “Spiral Exhibits Hall”
- A Japanese Policy toward China
- Segregation and Assimilation concerning resident Koreans in Japan
- Secret of Longevity: Lessons from Okinawa
- Winery Industry in Yamanashi
- Using Webs for Business
- The Post-war “Problem of Children of Mixed Parentage”
The Japan Research Center, which is organized by well-known 15 universities in North America, had its “Final Presentations” by its graduates, and I attended the first-day session. The students, who had been through with their special courses, came to Japan to study advanced Japanese and the social phenomena of Japan for 40 weeks for their presentations. As the MC said, “They had been told to make a chat and even a joke among them in Japanese,” I could see how thoroughgoing their efforts had really been.
At their presentations, I was surprised again by their good Japanese and the substance of their researches. Their themes, which were broad and substantially advanced, ranged from issues in the past such as time awareness in the Edo period, emigrations to Southeast Asia during the Meiji and Taisho periods, and the post-war “Problem of children of mixed parentage” to the present issues, including their own experiences of job hunting, translating and subtitling animated films by themselves over their websites, and the length of period needed for licensing new medicines. It was an opportunity even for me Japanese to know more about Japan than I had expected to.
Personally, I felt something youthful in their presentations with humor and their questions and answers. Also, I was impressed with their pronunciation of English as a foreign language that was entirely in a Japanese style. I am sure they must have studied Japanese concentratedly. For that matter, I do honor to the professors for their efforts. I understand that the number of graduates has reached more than 1,500, and all of them are active in various fields all over the world. Also, a lot of books written by those gradudates were exhibited at the hall. I do hope that the graduates will be a bridge between the two countries and Japan in the future by making the most of what they learned at the JRC.
In addition, I would like to introduce the titles of some other presentations:
- Iconography of Buddhism and Social Movement
- Works of Yuichi Takahashi and his “Spiral Exhibits Hall”
- A Japanese Policy toward China
- Segregation and Assimilation concerning resident Koreans in Japan
- Secret of Longevity: Lessons from Okinawa
- Winery Industry in Yamanashi
- Using Webs for Business
- The Post-war “Problem of Children of Mixed Parentage”