Saturday, November 24, 2012

Observing and Experiencing Judo

[Date & Time] Saturday, November 24, at 9:30~11:30
[Place] Kanagawa Prefectural Budokan (co-sponsored by Kanagawa Judo Federation)
[Participants]  19 participants from 10 countries, with 5 from China, 3 from Mongolia, 2 each from The United States, Mexico, and Japan, and 1 each from Germany, U.K., Hong Kong, Indonesia, and Afghanistan, and 24 KSGG members



  In the spacious Judo facility in a massive building, after putting on Judo uniforms under the guidance of an instructor, the foreign guests learned about the history and the spirit of Judo from the instructor of Kanagawa Judo Federation and practiced bowing, which is the etiquette in Judo, and break falls.  Making a bow expresses respects and gratitude to the opponent in the match of Judo where manners are essential.  In the practice of the break falls, again and again, the participants enjoyed slapping the tatami mats with their hands while rolling backward.   What especially impressed me was the demonstration performed by two boys.  They exhibited impressive techniques one after another in their brisk action.  We gave a big hand for their great performance.  At the end of the event, the chairman of the federation handed the certification to all the participants.

A report from a Mexican female international student
I really enjoyed the Judo class and the explanation about Judo's history and meaning.  I really appreciate KSGG efforts to make these kind of events possible because they are interesting and fun way to learn more about Japanese culture.  I liked so much and that is why I'm thinking about enrolling the Judo class, so at the same time I can get involved in a traditional Japanese sport and practice Japanese language.