Monday, April 12, 2010

Guiding an American couple--repeat visitors--around Sankeien Garden and Enoshima Island.

[Date & Time] Monday, April, 12 at12:30~17:30
Tuesday, April, 13 at9:00~15:30
[Visitors] a Couple from Seattle and another Couple on board
[Attendant] 1 KSGG member
[Language] English

I was slightly anxious because I couldn’t get in touch with them since I received the notice in January that they would visit Japan again. However, when I saw the couple waving to me on the deck of Amsterdam, I felt relief. Another couple, who met the visitors for the first time on a voyage, also joined the tour. We took a bus to Sankeien Garden. Since cherry blossoms had already gone, and it was cold and rainy, I considered cancelling the tour, but the visitors didn’t care at all. They said, “Beautiful!” again and again, and took pictures of Sankeien Garden, which was really as beautiful as a wash drawing. They enjoyed the traditional Japanese tea-serving at the Sankei Memorial.
As it was sunny next day, we walked from Enoden’s Enoshima Station to the top of Enoshima Island, and returned to the Station from the Island on foot. At their request, we mostly spent just browsing souvenir shops and talking at a restaurant on various topics ranging from first grade pupils’ shining backpacks to the issue of crows and garbage and the activity of the locals. I saw them off at Yokohama Station at 3:30 pm, for the ship would leave at 6:00. I received a polite e-mail next day.