Saturday, May 2, 2009

Guiding Koreans around Kamakura


[Date & Time] Saturday, May 2, at 10:30 ~ 16:00
[Spots] Hokokuji Temple, Tsurugaoka-Hachimangu Shrine, and Engakuji Temple
[Visitors] 5 Koreans in their fifties through eighties who belong to Association of Judicial Scriveners in the south of Seoul and 1 judicial scrivener from Kanagawa Scriveners Associations
[Attendants] 1 KSGG Member
[Language] Korean

KSGG received a request from Kanagawa Scriveners Association again this year as well as last year for guiding Koreans around Kamakura. Since the visitors were the same members, we were happy to meet with them again in Kamakura. Since it was in the middle of the Golden Week holidays, I had chosen a course free from a traffic jam, but, as we won’t be caught in a traffic jam at that time of the day, we went straight to Hokokuji Temple by taxi. They exclaimed at the tall bamboos growing high against the blue sky. As the strong sunlight was filtered through the leaves, warblers twittered, and the leaves fluttered about in the wind, they looked as if they had taken no note of the time.
In Tsurugaoka-Hachimangu Shrine, as they were interested in history, they listened to me carefully when I explained Shogun Minamoto no Yoritomo and yabusame, or horseback archery. Since the time we had to be at a restaurant had already passed, it was a pity that I could not take them to Homotsuden, or Treasure Hall, they had been anxious to visit. After having lunch, we visited Engakuji Temple, where, despite the consecutive holidays, it was so quiet that we could leisurely walk around the precincts of the temple surrounded by fresh green leaves. They showed a special interest in the Hundred Goddesses of Mercy in Engakuji Temple, taking their time appreciating those statues, and said, “We have never seen these Goddesses of Mercy in Korea.”
Although I had a lot of regrets, I could spend a full day thanks to the visitors who were always kind enough to follow me. I hope Kamakura will be kept in their minds as a good memory of Japan.