[Date & Time] Thursday, May 28, and Friday, May 29
[Place] Pacifico Yokohama Exhibition Hall B
[KSGG Attendants] 4 members each on May 28 and 29 at Kanagawa Pref. Booth
6 members on May 28 and 5 members on May 29 at ChugokuChapter Booth
The annual business talks were a bit smaller in scale this year probably due to a
recesssion, and, despite some cancellations among the Chinese buyers, some 400 exhibitors and 300 buyers participated and we had relatively many chances to work as interpreter for business talks.
We understand that no business talks are slated for autumn, but hope that business will be so brisk next year as to hold the talks twice in spring and autumn.
★ Selling sightseeing resorts to buyers
This year, by contraries, Japanese sellers visited the booths of foreign travel agents, or primarily buyers, to sell them the Japanese sightseeing resorts. I covered Hakone Sightseeing Vessels and visited as interpreter with its manager 9 foreign booths--China (Shenzhen and Dalian), Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Belgium, Switzerland, Indonesia, and Vietnam--carrying with me the pamphlets of the Victory, the Royal, and the Purser, commonly known as Pirate Boats plying Lake Ashinoko, asking them to put the programs in their package tour. Among visitors from Asian countries, Mt. Fuji seen from Lake Ashinoko was popular, while, for those from Europe, it was their regular 2-week itinerary to arrive at Narita Airport, to spend a night at Hakone after going sightseeing in Tokyo and Nikko, to visit Kyoto and Nara by a bullet train, and to leave Japan from Kansai Airport. I was very busy, but I could learn a lot and experience a pleasant service.
★ Thanks to my preparation, I did my first job without any problem
I looked into English words and expressions concerning business, and local tourist attractions beforehand. The Japanese sellers I covered were a hotel businessman in Hiroshima Pref. and an art museum staff in Shimane Pref. The first visitor was a woman from London. Since her pronunciation was not peculiar, I could interpret smoothly. Then I worked for visitors from the United States, Canada, Germany, and Malaysia. Since many questions and answers covered locations, facilities, and selling points and did not cover hard talks about the terms and conditions, I could manage to do my first job without any problem. I am sure my service was helpful. I hope KSGG will be able to expand its activity in this field.