Saturday, May 23, 2009

Report on the Study of National Treasure Hall, Hachimangu

[Date and Time] Saturday, May 23, at 10:00 ~ 15:00
[Place] Treasure Hall/National Treasure Hall, Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine
[Participants] 52 members in the morning; 47 members, incl. 2 guests, in the afternoon

It was a calm pleasant study tour on a fine day. The study tour, which was also made in Chinese and in French for the first time, was received favorably by participants. We hope to stage such a poliglot field study in Spanish and in Asian languages in the near future. Also, we received a lot of favorable responses from our members commenting on the detailed instructive explanation of the Treasure Hall and the National Treasure Hall by a learned member.
★ Groping for a Good Guiding Style
I experienced guiding at Dankazura, Taiko-bashi, or Drum Bridge, and Genpei Pond. I tried to say something to the visitors, but the words I had planned to say did not come out. Since it would be wretched and would destroy the atmosphere just to read a script straight for them, I realized that explanation was much different from a common dialogue.
I am groping for a good guiding style, and will aim at one that makes foreign visitors relax by enhancing my knowledge at the pace of my own and piling up my experiences through field tours.
★ A Meaningful Study
I explained the face and hands washing house and maiden, or the dancing stage, and realized that it was hard for me to speak out loud in English. Also, I had a hard time, because I could not speak out what I had planned to. In addition, I happened to distort some facts to find my result quite miserable, when a veteran member of ours gave me a helping hand, for which I was very much obliged. It was really a meaningful day for me to listen to our veteran guides’ fluent and instructive talks at other spots, and join the wonderful study at the Treasure Hall and the National Treasure Hall.