Friday, February 25, 2011

Guiding Shonan Village Center’s the U.S.-Japan Cooperative Cancer Research Workshop Participants around Kamakura



[Date and Time] Friday, February 25, at 14:30~18:00
[Spots] Kotokuin Temple (Great Buddha) and Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine
[Visitors] 24 cancer researchers for USA-Japan Cooperative Cancer Research Workshop, with 15 from Japan and 9 from other countries such as the U.S., Sweden, etc
[Attendants] 2 KSGG members

When I heard the participants were cancer researchers, I first assumed they must be very literary. Contrary to my expectation, they were actually so frank and friendly that I could guide three women researchers quite comfortably with the other member of ours. An American researcher said in front of the Great Buddha, “If it stays there in the open, I’m afraid that the bronze will be corroded away. It should be housed for conservation.” I was surprised by her remark, for I had long been used to seeing it in the open air. Looking back at my day as a guide, I could have a very pleasant day in fine and warm weather, though it had taken time to do a lot of paper work for explanation on the bus.