Sunday, May 29, 2016

Guiding HIDA (TKC) Participants around Kamakura

[Date & Time] Sunday, May 29, 10:00~15:40
[Meeting Place] JR Kamakura Station, West Exit, Clock Tower Square
[Spots] Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine, Hasedera Temple, and Kotokuin Templssess [Date & Time] Sunday, May 29, 10:00~15:40
[Meeting Place] JR Kamakura Station, West Exit, Clock Tower Square
[Spots] Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine, Hasedera Temple, and Kotokuin Temple (Great Buddha)
[Visitors] 81 HIDA participants from 13 countries (21 from Vietnam, 16 sfrom Indonesia and Thailand, 11 from the Philippines, 7 from India, 2 each from Cambodia and Singapore and 1 each from Bangladesh, Laos, Malaysia, Mongol, Pakistan and Turkey, and 6 attendants from HIDA (staff, lecturer)
[Attendants] 25 KSGG members
[Languages] English, Indonesian, Thai, and Japanese


  Twenty five KSGG members gathered at the meeting place at 9:30 a.m. and confirmed the procedure and roles of each person.  In the meantime 81 participants arrived, attended by HIDA staff and lecturers.  Ten groups were formed and each group gave a self- introduction.  Then we confirmed several things as follows: the day’s schedule; each person’s agreement for posting photos taken that day on KSGG website and FB; what they like for lunch; and other things (e.g. food restrictions and Muslim worship).  Each group started after finishing these things.  One group headed directly for Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine through Wakamiya-oji; one group bought lunch boxes at a supermarket in front of the station; one group with some participants who hadn’t eaten breakfast, ate onigiri (rice ball) which they bought at a supermarket; the others started following its participants’ request.  At 3:00 p.m. we took group pictures in front of the Great Buddha.  After that we had the last meeting at the square in front of the ticket office of the Kotokuin Temple.  Four participants gave us thankful words with plenty of humor.  One KSGG member explained about a washi-ningyo (a paper doll made of Japanese traditional paper) and then they were given to all of the participants by each group leaders, which greatly pleased all of the participants.  Lastly, led by one KSGG member, all of the participants with us did sanbonjime (a threefold repetition of a clapping of the hands by all present at a gathering, following a pattern of three claps, three claps, three claps, and one clap).  All of us walked to Hase Station.  Some participants and KSGG attendants went to Yuigahama Beach as an optional tour.

The message from HIDA (TKC)
I really appreciate your continued help to HIDA.  Thank you very much for the Kamakura tour on May 29th.  As there were a lot of participants, I’m afraid it was a hard task.  You were kind enough to give us an active tour, which made the participants enjoy heartily.  Every time I join Kamakura tours and the activities of KSGG, I think I have to work hard for HIDA participants like I did when I started to take care of them.  Every time I see KSGG members taking care of the participants, I really thnk we have to learn, enjoy, and grow as people with them.  I am looking forward to your continued help with our many activities.