Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Guiding the Participants of International Conference of National Institute of Informatics (NII) held at Shonan International Village around Kamakura



[Date & Time] Wednesday, May 28, 13:30-18:20
[Spots] Jomyoji Temple, Hokokuji Temple, Sugimotodera Temple, and Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine
[Participants] 18 participants from Greece, the U.S., Italy, Germany, the U.K., New Zealand, and Canada, and 2 from Japan                              
[Attendants] 2 KSGG members
[Language] English

  On the bus, I explained about Miura Peninsula and Hayama. Then I introduced the beginning of Japanese culture, using a picture-story show of The Moon Princess.  After I explained about the history of Kamakura and its culture, we arrived at Jomyoji Temple.  I gave an outline of the founding story of Jomyoji Temple.  At Kisen-an, we enjoyed having powdered green tea and listening the sound of Suikin-Kutsu (a kind of music device consisting of an up-and-down buried pot), seeing the kare-sansui garden (a traditional Japanese-style garden made of rocks and stones).  After enjoying the tranquility in the bamboo garden at Hokokuji Temple, we headed to Sugimotodera Temple.  It was disappointing that the mossy stone steps were also covered as the temple was under renovation.  Then we moved to Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine and offered our prayers.  After that, the visitors strolled along Komachi Dori Street as   they liked.  We got together again at a parking lot as scheduled and finished our tour without any trouble.