Friday, August 20, 2010

Guiding an Italian Man around Kamakura—Part 1


[Date and Time] Friday, August 20, at 9:00~21:00
[Spots] Zeniarai Benten Shrine, Jyufukuji Temple, Kotokuin Temple (Great Buddha), Hasedera Temple, Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine, Tomb of Minamoto Yoritomo, and Kamakuragu Shrine
[Visitor] An Italian man, 57, a law firm owner
[Attendant] 1 KSGG member
[Language] English

Since it was my first experience in guiding a foreign visitor, I had been a little nervous. However, I was relieved when I met him at his hotel to find that he was quite frank. When I asked about his health condition for hiking, he showed his large thigh well-trained by soccer, saying that he would like to visit as many places as possible before sunset, because he would have to leave Kamakura at 3 o’clock tomorrow afternoon.
At Zeniarai Benten Shrine, I explained that, if coins would be washed with the shrine's spring water, they would increase several-fold in the future. As he was rich, he washed only ten yen coins. Then I treated him to a shaved ice, seasonal tradition for Japanese summer. When we finished visiting the Great Buddha and Hasedera Temple, I looked at my watch to find that it was still 2 o’clock. I asked him if he could walk to Kamakura Station. He said, “Of course, I can!” Then, at Hachimangu Shrine, he drew an English fortune slip, which said: “Good in the future. You’ll make a success in every field, small as it will be.” He
was satisfied with it. We got on a bus at Kamakuragu Shrine to go back to Kamakura Station.