Sunday, July 25, 2010

Guiding an American Woman around Kamakura


[Date & Time] Sunday, July 25, at 9:30~19:00
[ Spots] Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine, Jufukuji Temple, Genjiyama Park , Zeniarai Benten Shrine, Sasuke Inari Shrine, and Kotokuin Temple (Great Buddha), and Hasedera Temple
[Visitor] An American woman (38)
[Attendant] 1 KSGG member
[Language] English

The visitor, Ms. P, took a tour of Kamakura organized by KSGG during her precious five-day stay in Japan. As it was extremely hot that day, with the temperature standing at nearly 35℃, we tried to drink a lot of water and, in my case, I took some pickled plums for her, which I thought she might dislike. She tasted one and then said, “This is good!” I was so impressed with her smile.
Even though the trail from Sasuke Inari Shrine to the place meeting the Great Buddha hiking course was rather steep, keeping many Japanese tourists from going up to the top, she climbed up the hill very easily. When we reached the Great Buddha, which she had wanted to see most, she looked very much impressed by its huge size. Before saying farewell to her, I said, “Please come to Japan with your family next time.”