Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Guiding an American Father and his Son around Kamakura


[Date & Time] Wednesday, July 21, at 11:00~16:00
[Spots] Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine, Hasedera Temple, and Kotokuin Temple (Great Buddha)
[Visitors] An American father, 60, and his son, 21
[Attendant] 1 KSGG member
[Language] English

Both of the visitors were tall, frank and friendly. They arrived at Kamakura Station, apologizing for their sudden request for guiding, and thanked me for my attendance. After arriving in Japan a week before, they first climbed Mt. Fuji, and then traveled around Kyoto and Nara until the day before. They said it was lucky for them to come to Kamakura just one day before their departure from Japan.
Before starting our tour, we entered a coffee house near the station and introduced ourselves. I explained the general outline of our tour and the historical background of Kamakura. Then we exchanged other necessary information each other. Finally I asked about their health condition for the heat of the day.
They came from San Francisco. As we talked about the old days of San Francisco, which made us feel as if we were old acquaintances, we could start our tour in such a happy mood. It was so hot that the number of tourists was small at Komachidori Street and Enoden; we could tour about leisurely.
We came back to Kamakura Station after 4 p.m., and they left for their friend’s house waving to me in farewell. I had not been fully ready as it was a sudden request, but, assuming I had the visitors from afar really enjoy their tour, I felt it much better than to spend a hot day at home. I enjoyed guiding personal visitors after a long interval.