Thursday, April 9, 2009

SAS Students Visiting KSGG Member’s Home (A)


[Date & Time] Friday, April 10, at 9:30 ~ 16:00
[Spots] Osanbashi Yokohama International Passenger Terminal, Tsurugaoka-Hachimangu Shrine, KSGG member’s home (Yuigahama), Kotokuin Temple (Great Buddha), Inamuragasaki Cliff, and Kamakura City Center

The enviable Virginia University’s students on the Semester at Sea (SAS) arrived at Yokohama. They can get credits worth a semester by studying and cruising around the world for 3 months. About 700 students and faculties, who are on board the ship, visit and learn about the cities of the world. Among them there were several students who wanted to visit a Japanese home while they stay in Yokohama for two days, and I invited two of them to my home. One was a nice, sober young man who was from San Francisco and was studying business, and the other was a charming, beautiful young woman from Philadelphia. We met at Osanbashi Terminal and took a train straight to Kamakura where I live. I had decided to have them eat lunch at my home, for their main purpose was to visit a Japanese home. So we first visited Tsurugaoka-Hachimangu Shrine and Kotokuin Temple (Great Buddha), our regular spots. At my home, we had lunch in a Japanese-style guest room so that they could experience sitting on Tatami mats. They loved to eat what we call “Chakin-sushi,” or sushi rice containing assorted ingredients and covered with thin fried eggs, and “Norimaki,” or vinegared rice rolled in laver, containing “Datemaki,” or a rolled omlet. I had expected them to love the view of Yuigahama Beach from our guest room on the second floor, but, alas, they did not show any interest. It was no wonder; I realized later that they were on an ocean voyage. I was also disappointed when we took a walk on the beach after lunch. On the other hand, they were very much interested in the Great Buddha like other visitors. Then, we went to Inamuragasaki Cliff to enjoy the view of Enoshima Island. It was a pity, however, that we could not see Mt. Fuji due to a vernal mist. As they had to get back to Osanbashi Terminal by 4 p.m., we regretfully omitted our special music performance I had planned for them, for we spent too much time on the tour of Hachimangu Shrine and the Great Buddha.
Both of them were really very nice students. And my invitation of them to my home was over, as we waved to them in farewell at Osanbashi Terminal at 4 p.m.