On April 10, I welcomed two female university students to our home. One wants to be a teacher and the other wants to work in the field of welfare. At first, on a hill, I took pictures of them with Mt. Fuji and cherry blossoms in the background. Later, they tried to put on furisode, or kimono for Coming of Age Day, in the morning. For lunch, I cooked some traditional dishes for them. What pleased them most was sukiyaki they had for the first time. After lunch, they enjoyed watching and listening to our picture-story shows, such as “Kasajizo” and “Nezumi no Yomeiri.”
For afternoon snacks, I served Japanese green tea with Sakuramochi, or a rice cake filled with sweet bean paste and wrapped in a pickled cherry leaf. They were impressed with Japanese cultures, one of which was to hold a rice bowl in one hand when we eat rice.
They told me that SAS offered a good opportunity to learn a lot of things pleasantly through many exciting experiences with wonderful company in various countries. Although it was just a short home visit, they were kind enough to write me a thank-you letter as quoted below, which extremely pleased and moved me over again. I am looking forward to seeing the SAS students again in the near future.