[Date & Time] Wednesday, October 9, at 13:30~18:00
[Spots] Kotokuin Temple (Great Buddha), Hasedera Temple, Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine, and Komachidori Street
[Visitors] 30 participants in NII (Divided into two groups)
[Language] English
[Attendants] 2 KSGG members
On the bus for Kamakura, we explained about the history of Kamakura, Kamakura Bakufu as the first samurai (warrior) government, and Zen sect as the start of new Buddhism. At Kotokuin Temple, the visitors earnestly listened to my explanations about the Great Buddha. I explained that there are two different explanations about how copper to cast the Great Buddha was imported from China: The copper was imported as the coins or as ingot. I also explained that the building to house the Great Buddha had been washed away by tsunami. At Hasedera Temple, I explained One Thousand Jizo (a guardian deity of children), the bell to ring out the old year, and the story about an unlucky year for Minamoto Yoritomo and the Amitabha to ward off evils. At Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine, they solemnly listened to my story about Shizuka Gozen and Maiden, feeling sorry for her.