Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Guiding Mothers whose Children Attend Saint Maur International School around Yamate and Motomachi

[Date & Time] Tuesday, October 15, at 9:40~12:00
[Spots] Berrick Hall, Yamate Catholic, Church, Diplomat's House, Bluff No.18, Motomachi Shopping Street, and Yokohama Foreign General Cemetery
[Visitors] 5 mothers whose children attend Saint Maur International School, with 2 from England and 1 each from the U.S., Poland, and Malaysia
[Attendant] A KSGG member
[Language] England

  Starting to guide the visitors from Berrick Hall, I guided them westward along the edge of Yamate.  We went to Yamate Catholic Church and Yamate Italian Garden. Since Bluff 18 was used as the parish house of Yamate Catholic Church, I guided and showed them whole around the house.  Along the Motomachi Shopping Street, I took them to several shops which have continued since World War II.  I especially explained about the origin of “Hamatora-style” and a shop which was the home of this style.  We got on the elevator and walked around America-yama Park.  I explained about how Yokohama Foreign General Cemetery was built, walking beside the cemetery. Wherever I explained, visitors showed interests in the history after Yokohama opened its door to the foreign countries.