[Spots] Sankeien Garden and Yokohama Water Front (Sea Buss Cruise)
[Visitor] An American woman
[Attendant] 1 KSGG member
[Language] English
I met her at Sakuragicho Station and we went to Sankeien Garden by bus. It was after 12:00 when we got there. I explained about its Outer Garden, which has wonderful natural scenery, and its Inner Garden, which is like a museum of old ar
chitecture, using a map. At Rinshunkaku, a villa for the feudal lord of Kishu-Tokugawa Family, I explained that, during the Edo era, even such a villa as one for the Tokugawa Family was quite simple without any gorgeous decorations like imperial villas in the West. She admired the beauty of Japanese gardens. As Sankei Hara, a businessman who designed and built Sankeien Garden, loved tea ceremony, quite a few tea houses had been moved to this garden. Then we went to the site of Shofukaku, where we could command the Port of Yokohama, and to the three-storied pagoda. At a private house with a rafter roof, which is called gassho-style house in Japanese, I explained about the meaning of “rafter roof” and told her that even a horse had been a member of their family.On our way back, we got on “Seabass” at Yamashita Park and, seeing Minatomirai, the Pier, Bay Bridge from the sea, we returned to Yokohama Station and said good-bye.