On Wednesday, December 15, I invited Mr. R to my home. I have been tutoring him since last autumn. He studies business administration at the graduate school of Yokohama National University. He is a good young man who speaks Japanese very well and loves Japanese culture. I wondered at first what I should serve to him but I decided to serve him what we usually have for dinner, for I thought it would be most important to have him enjoy the evening with us. As I expected, we really could have pleasant dinner together with my husband and daughter.
What induced me to take on tutorage was my daughter’s remark. She studied in China, and I heard her saying, “I regretted that I had hardly been invited to a home by a Chinese family,” and decided to do it and have a foreign student experience Japan a little in my capacity. Tutorage, or anything, which may be small support, will surely be a treasure to foreigners who come to Japan across the sea and, at the same time, my communication with them will certainly be a treasure of mine as well.