Sunday, July 3, 2016
Yokohama Guided Tour in Chinese and English
[Date & Time] Sunday, July 3, at 15:00~18:00
[Spots] Yokohama Archives of History, Kanagawa Prefectural Government Main Building, Yokohama Custom House, Port Opening Memorial Hall, Zou-no-Hana Park, Osanbashi Yokohama International Passenger Terminal, Yokohama Bay Bridge, Yamashita Park, Hikawa-maru, Yokohama Marine Tower, Yokohama Chinatown, Motomachi, Yamate, Minato-Mirai 21, etc.
[Visitors] 2 Chinese women and 1 Norwegian man
[Attendant] 1 KSGG member
[Languages] Chinese (Mandarin) and English
Beforehand I had decided the itinerary for guiding by email with a Chinese woman living in Spain who was the leader of the tour group. The Chinese woman came to Japan with a Norwegian man. They left Madrid, transferred to a connecting flight to China at Milan, and then met her sister living in China to come together to Japan. As they had a tight schedule, they consequently arrived in Japan one day late. I received an email about the delay in their schedule, so we put off our tour for one day. The visitors were very interested in the history and culture of Yokohama. Therefore, I showed them around the historical buildings that symbolize the history and culture of Yokohama after it opened its port to the U.S., some of which we saw from a distance. The Chinese visitors asked a lot of questions on how Japan assimilated with Western civilization after the Meiji Restoration; the Norwegian man, who was interested in the indigenous culture of Japan, asked many questions on Japanese traditional art and food. I explained to the Chinese women in Chinese and to the Norwegian man in English. So I hope they understood the essential points of my explanations.
