Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Guiding 3 Americans around Kamakura in a relaxing way

[Date & Time] Wednesday, September 16, at 10:30~15:15  
[Spots] Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine and Kotokuin Temple (Great Buddha) 
[Visitors] 3 Americans 
[Attendant]1 KSGG member   
[Language] English

I guided the woman whose husband works at the American Navy and her parents to Kamakura.  As her father had trouble with his knee, we decided to visit only Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine and Kotokuin Temple in a relaxing way.  As Yabusame (horseback archery) was to be held that afternoon at Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine, we were going to finish the tour by noon because it would be crowded in the afternoon.  Though all of the visitors were Protestants, they washed their hands and cleaned their mouths at the chozuya (temizuya) and bowed at the main hall with willingness.  

After that we ate “Shirasudon” for lunch at a restaurant named “ Kanae” on Komachi Dori Street which I had reserved.  We had a very good time there.

At Kotokuin Temple, I was asked such questions as, “Why are there so many groups of children here? “, “Why are the Great Buddha’s shoulders stooped?”  Near the end of the tour I talked to them about the episode of President Obama and green tea ice cream, which motivated them to eat it.  We enjoyed eating and talking at a tearoom on the way back to Kamakura Station.  I felt like I was talking to some of my Japanese friends.