Sunday, April 10, 2016

An American Couple Visiting Several Museums in Yokohama

[Date & Time] Sunday, April 10, at 13:00~19:00
[Spot] Yokohama Station, Hara Model Railway Museum (HMRM), NYK Maritime Museum, NYK Hikawamaru, Yokohama Chinatown, and Yokohama Station 
[Visitors] An American Couple
[Attendant] 1 KSGG member

[Language] English

  The visitors are an American couple in their seventies who came from New Jersey.  They were enjoying their journeys around the world after their retirement.  Reading their e-mails to arrange their trip, I thought that they would arrive at the meeting place in Yokohama Station without any problem.  As we mutually introduced ourselves with face photos, we could start our trip by talking like we were friends right after we met each other.  It was their second trip to Japan. However, the husband had already come to Japan for several times previously.  They wanted to learn about the Japanese by seeing the exhibits in museums.  Although we were to visit Silk Museum in our schedule, I decided not go there, taking time and their physical conditions into consideration.  As all the museums had good signs and explanations in English , they enjoyed seeing the exhibitions at their own pace.  At  Hikawa Maru Maritime Museum, they took time and enjoyed a film with English subtitles, so I think the film helped them to understand the relationship between the U.S. and Japan during the pre- and post war..  At the end of the tour, I took them to Chinatown where they wanted to go.  They were astonished to find it was neat and clean comparing with Chinatowns in big cities in the U.S.  We enjoyed a dinner at Chinatown.  Then I saw them off at Yokohama Station.  They returned to their hotel in Tokyo on the JR Tokaido Line.