Friday, January 27, 2012

Guiding Australian Men around Kamakura

[Date and Time] Friday, January 27, at 11:00~16:10
[Spots] Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine,
Jufuku-ji Temple, Genjiyama Park, Zeniarai Benzaiten Shrine, Ugafuku Shrine,
Sasuke Inari Shrine, Ura Daibutu Hiking Course, Kotokuin Temple (Great Buddha),
and Kamakura Station.
[Visitors] 2 Australian men (in their 40s))
[Attendant] 1 KSGG member


  It was a little bit chilly but not windy.  The weather was perfect for hiking. I just started to guide from Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine. The two guests listened to my explanation eagerly and asked me a lot.
  We had lunch break at a noodle shop near Hachimangu Shrine ahead of schedule.  I recommended one of them to eat katsudon (pork cutlet on rice) because he cannot eat fish.  He said that Japanese food looks beautiful and is delicious. 
  In the afternoon, after guiding them to Jufukuji Temple, we walked along the mountain trail toward Genjiyama Park. Arriving at the top of Genjiyama Park, they gasped for breath though they looked young and seemed to have enough stamina. At Zeniarai Benzaiten Shrine, they didn’t wash bills but some coins.  When I asked them why they washed coins, they said it was too much trouble to have wet bills with them.  When we finished walking along the hiking course safely and went down Daibutsu Slope, I told them that this was the goal of our hiking.  They said, “How about trying once more?”  So I answered, “I can do it anytime.”  To hear my reply, they laughed.  This was a very challenging guiding for me.