Saturday, February 6, 2010

Guiding JICA Participants around Kamakura—Impressed with their Devotion



[Date and Time] Saturday, February 6, at 11:00 ~16:40
[Spots] Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine, Hasedera Temple, and Kotokuin Temple (Great Buddha)
[JICA Participants] 43 participants from 17 countries, with 15 from Myanmar, 9 from Brazil, 2 each from Chile, Jordan, the Philippines, and Viet Nam, 1 each from Bolivia, the Fiji Islands, Samoa, Moldova, Indonesia, Morocco, Ethiopia, Syrian Arab Republic, Iraq, Ghana, and Egypt
[Special JICA Participants from Japan] 4 persons
[Attendants] 21 KSGG members and 2 observers

The participants, who were delighted to see the sea, took a lot of pictures of it. At Kotokuin Temple, cold as it was, they knelt down to pray in front of the Great Buddha, with their hands putting together. A female trainee from Samoa led the trainees, as it was her second visit to Kamakura. To my surprise, she spoke Japanese fluently. So when I said to her, “You speak Japanese very well,” she gave a happy smile. Four JICA officials, who participated in our tour this time, said they were impressed by KSGG members getting down to their service.

Self-introduction in Portuguese

Since I heard that Brazilians would take part in this tour, I suddenly decided to join as I had been learning Portuguese by myself, though I was a bit anxious about getting through to them. However, I was more than happy to get applause when I introduced myself in Portuguese. Also, as I found they could fully understand Spanish, I guided three of the participants in Spanish at Kotokuin Temple. When one of the participants remarked that the house of the Great Buddha was swept away by tsunami in 1498, while Brazil was discovered in 1500, two years later, a company of tourists warmed up.
We had lunch at a soba, or buckwheat noodles, restaurant, where I had a hard time explaining an English menu without any pictures, for my ability to speak Portuguese was very poor. I keenly felt I need to increase my Portuguese vocabularies, borrowed as they are, before I join the next tour.