Sunday, January 31, 2010

Guiding AOTS Trainees around Kamakura



[Date and Time] Sunday, January 31, at 10:00 ~ 15:45
[Spots] Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine, Hasedera Temple, and Kotokuin (Great Buddha)
[Participants] 14 trainees from 4 countries, with 7 from China, 3 from Indonesia, 3 from Thailand, and 1 from the Philippines
[Job Titles] Accurate instrument, Food product, Electric facilities, etc.
[Attendants] 10 KSGG members and 2 observers
[Language] English, Chinese, and Japanese

It was a warm day and there were a lot of visitors at Hachimangu Shrine who attended the New Year Prayers to drive away evil spirit and bring good luck--a unique festivity of Japan. At Hasedera Temple, Japanese apricot blossoms were in full bloom. Some KSGG members often receive thank-you e-mails and others exchange letters with the trainees they guided.

Cheering Youngsters

Ms. W, who works at a branch of a Japanese brewery in Dalian, began to study at AOTS in mid-January. As she is to stay in Japan for one year, she could not go home for Chinese New Year.
At Hachimangu Shrine, she eagerly asked about the difference between a shrine and a temple. As she had known the word “Shinto,” I thought I could ask her about the extent she had heard about the old days of Manchuria, but I could not ask her lightly, for I met her for the first time. When she found a brand among Japanese sake barrels dedicated to the shrine, she pointed at it and said with a twinkle in her eyes, “This is my company’s.” As she could not go home for Chinese New Year and had to struggle with Japanese language every day, her real feeling was shown in her expression watching water birds by Gempei Pond and in her figure praying to Buddha with her hands putting together and stroking Daikoku. I said, “You are young! Hang on in there!” Then she gave me a smile with a touch of loneliness.

Thank-you e-mail from a Visitor
I am afraid you must have been tired yesterday. I really appreciate your guidance. Although we stay in a foreign country, we could feel as if you were my family member. Thank you so much. We had a very good time yesterday. If there is another chance, we would like you to take us to various sightseeing places. Thank you very much for your help. We are grateful to you. (The original e-mail had been written in Chinese.)