[Date & Time] Wednesday, August
6, at 13:00~16:00
[Spots] Jomyoji Temple,
Sugimotodera Temple, and Hokokuji Temple
[Visitors] 25 SEDI participants
from 14 countries, with 5 each from Germany and U.K., 3 from France, 2 from
the U.S., and 1 each from Holland, Australia, Russia, Ireland, Belgium, Portugal, Croatia,
Hungary, Canada, and Japan
[Language] English
[Attendants] 2 KSGG members
I guided 25 members of the group 3 around Sugimotodera
Temple and Hokokujji Temple. On the bus
I explained about the history of Kamakura and the key points of the tea
ceremony because we had planned to drink maccha
at Jomyoji Temple. At Kisen-an (Tea
Room) they listened to the explanation about the way of drinking green powdered
tea, and then tasted maccha respectfully. After that they appreciated suikinkutsu (water-koto-cave), saying, “I feel my heart calm down.” At Sugimotodera Temple I explained about the stone
steps. The moss on the steps, which was
usually green, withered and was all brown in the beating sun. In the Main Hall they watched the statues of Kannon
quietly and in the garden asked me earnestly about Rokujizo(six statues of
Jizo) and muen-botoke(a person who
died leaving no one to tend his grave). At Hokokuji Temple, the last place to visit, I
had them stroll around in the bamboo garden freely for a longer time. They were
impressed with the quietness and the green of the bamboo garden which we rarely
enjoy at other places, saying repeatedly, “It’s wonderful!”