[Period] February 2009 through March 2011
[Student] Mr. K. S. from Korea, a student majoring in metal engineering at Yokohama National University
I helped him out with his study of Japanese and his daily life a few times a month. As he had already spoken Japanese quite well when I first met him, we had a free conversation about various current topics without using any textbook. I only pointed out from time to time some of his delicate Japanese wordings. Also, I corrected wrong phrases in his email and, occasionally, gave him some lessons outside having a drink with him, and having a meal with him and my family.
As he had passed through his doctoral course, he was expected to receive his diploma at the March 23 graduation ceremony as a valedictorian of the Engineering Department, which would have been a quite happy memorable event to him. However, he had to return to his country with a rush on March 20, right before the ceremony, for his living anxiety and inconvenience of life that had been caused by the big earthquake. It was decided that he would work for a research institute in his country as he had hoped to. He is a very polite and attentive young man from a Confucian country. I also learned a lot from him. I do hope that his future will be a very bright one (Incidentally, the graduation ceremony was cancelled).
(The photo shows his farewell party with my family including my eldest son’s. He also studied abroad and has a two-year-old son like Mr. K.)