[Period] August 2005 through March 2011
[Student] Mr. L. V. I. from Peru
[Major] Risk management and environmental sciences (Ecology and preservation of forest) at Yokohama National University
Mr. L came to Japan to get an MA, but he advanced to a Ph.D. As he was aggressive, he joined in our KSGG activities, made many friends with our members, and was kind enough to support our activities, too. I took him to Kyoto and theaters to let him enjoy our traditional Japanese plays. Also, one of our KSGG members invited him to his house on a New Year holiday so that he could experience a real Japanese New Year.
As Mr. L is sober and a bit shy for a Latin young man, Mr. A, an Indonesian student I was tutoring at that time, helped him out like his good brother. Also, the three of us celebrated our birthdays, and went hiking in Kamakura and other places.
Mr. L was quite busy writing his thesis this March and, after the great earthquake, we could only confirm our safety. As he went back to his country in a hurry, I could not even have a farewell party for him. Unfortunately, he couldn’t find a job in Japan, but I believe it was his best choice to go back to Peru where his family lives.
On his way back to his country, I could finally get in touch with him by email and receive his words of gratitude:“I would like to thank you very much for your help and guidance, without it, it would have been impossible for me to stand living in Japan for so long away from my people, my family and everything I know. Now I have to look for job in my country and hopefully start making some money because now I don’t have too much of it.”