Friday, August 5, 2016

Guiding a Spanish Couple around Kamakura

[Date & Time] Friday, August 5, at 8:40~18:30
[Spots] Tokeiji Temple, Engakuji Temple, Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine, Houkokuji Temple, Komachidori Street, Kotokuin Temple (Great Buddha), Hasedera Temple, and The Yokohama Landmark Tower
[Visitors] A Spanish Couple
[Language] Spanish
[Attendant] 1 KSGG member

  Having observed the turret of Tokeiji Temple, one of them said that ash scattering had become popular recently in Spain.  At Engakuji Temple, I ran into my acquaintance since my trip to Costa Rica.  In front of the great ginkgo tree, the couple said that they cut down any trees which grew too high in Spain.  I explained that we don’t cut sacred trees at all but preserve them.  Recognizing the big difference in social custom between the two countries, we burst out laughing.  They also laughed at the foxes at an inari shrine, saying, “Tricky foxes!”  We had box lunch in Kaiseki-style (an elegant Japanese meal in a box).  As she has an allergy to tofu, we asked a restaurant staff to serve something without soybeans instead.  When I gave a washi-ningyo (a doll made of traditional Japanese paper) to her, she was staring at it with a lot of curiosity.  At Hokokuji Temple, they experienced matcha (powdered green tea) while viewing the bamboo garden.  The moment we finished the visit to Kotokuin Temple and Hasedera Temple, they received an urgent phone call from their hotel, telling them that they didn’t have a reservation for a room on the day.  Their faces turned pale for a moment but they were able to manage and had a room for the night.  After having solved the trouble, they said, “In case we can’t get a room, we can stay at manga-kissa (a café with a manga library which is open around the clock),” and laughed again.  Since I heard that they wanted to go to Yokohama as it was their last day in Tokyo, I took them to Sakuragi-cho.  The last spot I guided was the observatory of the Yokohama Landmark Tower, where they left with a goodbye kiss to me.