Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Flower Arrangement Workshop for Foreign Students of Yokohama National University

[Date & Time] Tuesday, March 5, at 13:00~15:30
[Place] International Student Center at Yokohama National University
[Participants] 6 students from 6 countries, with 1 each from Nigeria, Haiti, China, Vietnam, Myanmar, and Japan
[Attendant] 1 KSGG member
[Language] English


For the first time I took charge of ikebana (Japanese flower arrangement) workshop at Yokohama National University.  After explaining a little about ikebana, I arranged flowers as an example.  The students, who hadn't experienced it, had difficulty arranging flowers, forming the style of shin, soe, and tai (three main stems), and ashirai (accompaniment), but they could do them beautifully. They were eagerness itself.  I was very happy to give them a chance to be familiar with Japanese flowers and flower arrangements.  When I left there, I noticed that someone was kind enough to put my flower arrangement on a desk in the corridor.