
[Date and Time] Sunday, January 23, at 10:00~15:45
[Spots] Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine, Hasedera Temple, and Kotokuin Temple (Great Buddha)
[Visitors] 23 AOTS trainees from 13 countries, with 8 from India, 3 from Cambodia, 2 from Thailand, 1 each from Mongolia, China, the Philippines, Laos, Singapore, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, and Brazil
[Attendants] 11 KSGG members and 3 observers
[Languages] English, Chinese, and Portuguese
It was a calm and warm day for a lot of parents to visit Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine to pray for healthy growth and happiness of their new-born babies. The trunk’s root—as if being still alive―of the giant ginkgo tree was exhibited at the shrine. This tree fell over in the typhoon which hit Japan in March, 2010. At Hasedera Temple, we could refresh ourselves as we took the upward slope with red, white, and yellow Japanese plum blossoms at their best. One trainee from Mumbai, India, showed a great interest in the Great Buddha, he was engaged in rocket industry, and went over both the outside and inside of it after I explained about it. As one KSGG member could speak Portuguese, a Brazilian trainee must have been relaxed. Also, as usual, Japanese paper dolls made by KSGG members brought a smile on every trainee.
We were given Warm Heart with Present
Five female members from Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia I guided this time were interested in Japanese culture and listened carefully to my explanations. They were lively and exchanged information smiling all the time as they walked. Everyone was family-minded: one offered an ema, or a votive tablet, for the health and happiness of her family; another bought an omamori, or a lucky charm for her husband; another chose souvenirs for her parents and children. They are away from their countries and working hard here in Japan. I really feel like supporting them.
As Ms. S from Cambodia seemed to have a cold and looked painful at times, I felt for her. However, I was relieved when she said, “It was a good thing that I dared to take part in this tour. I really enjoyed it.” Ms. S entrusted me with a present later, asking me to thank KSGG members for their favor. It was a picture of solemn Angkor Wat, which will be treasured up by KSGG as one of memories of our guiding AOTS trainees. We were given warm heart with a present.
Email from Ms. S
Dear E.san,
I arrived Cambodia safe and sound. I do like Japan and the people there.
All memories in Kamakura will last in my heart and soul and I don't forget
your kindness. Sure, I will look for opportunity to see you again.
Thanks for going to YKC to collect my stuffs. I'm pleased to hear that you like my souvenir. And hope others will do so.
The cover of business card holder made of silk, Khmer traditional silk that we normally wear for special occasion.
For the painting, it is our Angkor Wat Temple. Please come to visit Cambodia and see our great Angkor, one of the World Heritage. Please keep in touch with me.
Best Regards,
S.
[Spots] Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine, Hasedera Temple, and Kotokuin Temple (Great Buddha)
[Visitors] 23 AOTS trainees from 13 countries, with 8 from India, 3 from Cambodia, 2 from Thailand, 1 each from Mongolia, China, the Philippines, Laos, Singapore, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, and Brazil
[Attendants] 11 KSGG members and 3 observers
[Languages] English, Chinese, and Portuguese
It was a calm and warm day for a lot of parents to visit Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine to pray for healthy growth and happiness of their new-born babies. The trunk’s root—as if being still alive―of the giant ginkgo tree was exhibited at the shrine. This tree fell over in the typhoon which hit Japan in March, 2010. At Hasedera Temple, we could refresh ourselves as we took the upward slope with red, white, and yellow Japanese plum blossoms at their best. One trainee from Mumbai, India, showed a great interest in the Great Buddha, he was engaged in rocket industry, and went over both the outside and inside of it after I explained about it. As one KSGG member could speak Portuguese, a Brazilian trainee must have been relaxed. Also, as usual, Japanese paper dolls made by KSGG members brought a smile on every trainee.
We were given Warm Heart with Present
Five female members from Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia I guided this time were interested in Japanese culture and listened carefully to my explanations. They were lively and exchanged information smiling all the time as they walked. Everyone was family-minded: one offered an ema, or a votive tablet, for the health and happiness of her family; another bought an omamori, or a lucky charm for her husband; another chose souvenirs for her parents and children. They are away from their countries and working hard here in Japan. I really feel like supporting them.
As Ms. S from Cambodia seemed to have a cold and looked painful at times, I felt for her. However, I was relieved when she said, “It was a good thing that I dared to take part in this tour. I really enjoyed it.” Ms. S entrusted me with a present later, asking me to thank KSGG members for their favor. It was a picture of solemn Angkor Wat, which will be treasured up by KSGG as one of memories of our guiding AOTS trainees. We were given warm heart with a present.
Email from Ms. S
Dear E.san,
I arrived Cambodia safe and sound. I do like Japan and the people there.
All memories in Kamakura will last in my heart and soul and I don't forget
your kindness. Sure, I will look for opportunity to see you again.
Thanks for going to YKC to collect my stuffs. I'm pleased to hear that you like my souvenir. And hope others will do so.
The cover of business card holder made of silk, Khmer traditional silk that we normally wear for special occasion.
For the painting, it is our Angkor Wat Temple. Please come to visit Cambodia and see our great Angkor, one of the World Heritage. Please keep in touch with me.
Best Regards,
S.