
[Date & Time] Saturday, March 6, at 11:00-16:40
[Spots] Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine, Hasedera Temple, Kotokuin Temple (Great Buddha)
[Visitors] 54 JICA participants from 13 countries, with 17 from Cambodia, 12 from Turkey, 9 from Ukraine, 3 from Brazil, 2 each from Costa Rica, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, and 1 each from El Salvador, Ghana, Guatemala, Indonesia, Nicaragua, and Thailand
1 special participant who is responsible to Kamakura guiding in JICE
[Attendants] 22 KSGG members and 4 observers
It was a cold and rainy winterlike day. It must have been too cold for the participants from tropical countries; they all bought gloves and umbrellas soon after arriving at Kamakura. The participants from Cambodia who came to Kamakura for the first time looked around the unusual scenes pleasantly despite the cold.
At Hasedera Temple and Kotokuin, the participants from Buddhist countries said, looking at the goddesses and the Great Buddha and taking pictures of them, “We have those statues in our country, too. How beautiful they are!” It seems that the participants from Turkey, who had learned of a Turkish restaurant at Komachi-dori, had lunch there.
A Turkish restaurant discovered at Komachi-dori.
At lunch time, together with twelve participants from Turkey, we looked for a Turkish restaurant, finding one by the Torii to Komachi-dori. The restaurant, which was decorated with the Turkish national flag, had a sign named “ARKADAS.” At the restaurant, Turkish TV programs had been relayed through the Internet. They looked relaxed at once, feeling as if they were back home. Surrounded by those Turkish people, we also felt as if we were touring around in Turkey. “ARKADAS” means “FRIENDSHIP,” they said, and treated us to Turkish lunch. As we said, “Tesekkur ederim,” which means “Thank you” and which we had just learned from them, they were very much pleased about it. It rained heavily, but, thanks to them, we were all in a pleasant, warmhearted mood. I had not guided anyone for a long time, but I could fully enjoy it.
A thank-you letter from a Turkish participant who wanted to meet a “SAMURAI”
As I had explained that Kamakura was formed by SAMURAI, a Turkish participant said seriously at Kotokuin, “Can I meet a SAMURAI?” “Yes, you can, but only in movies,” I replied to him. As he also wanted to buy a Japanese sword, I said, “You can buy one at a souvenir shop near the temple.” Then I added, “You can take it out from Narita Airport, but it may be confiscated at a Turkish airport. It depends on the regulation of your country, though.” He gave up getting it, but one of his friends bought one with the length of 30 cm.
He gave me the following thank-you letter:
- - - - - - - - - -
I am very fine, thank you for your message.
Although it was a rainy day, I enjoy Kamakura tour a lot. It was a perfect day with your guidance. As I like history and to learn about different cultures, it was a magnificent experience for me and also for my friends. We also congratulate KSGG Volunteers for the efforts to make your culture alive. I see the photos, they are very nice. I will send the link to my friends. Today, we are in Wakayama and we will arrive Tanabe tomorrow. We hope to see you again, maybe in Turkey to taste all delicious Turkish meal. I would like to thank again, for your guidance and photos.
Please send our best regards to all KSGG Volunteers.
Best regards,
- - - - - - - - -
“An umbrella” --- A Gift from God!
I guided three Brazilians this time. They were rather quiet for Brazilians, probably
because they are professors of a university in Recife, a beautiful port located in the
north-eastern region of the country. As they hardly know rain, they don’t care about
any freezing rain. A male professor, who did not have an umbrella, persisted, “I have a black-bristled mountain cap. I don’t need an umbrella.” I worried about his wet shoulders and, though he was taller, I tried to get him under my umbrella. However, it only covered one of his shoulders and mine. Then, we happened to find a brown, check umbrella hanging on the hedge behind Hachimangu Shrine. As it was lunch time, the three Brazilians, who were in Japan, wanted to have Japanese food, and we went into a noodle restaurant, tasting hot noodles and quenching our thirst with a cup of sake and a glass of beer. When we got out of the restaurant, it was raining harder, but, fortunately, the abandoned umbrella was still there. I picked it up and handed it to him, saying, “This is a gift from God. You can use it.” He said, smiling, “Graças a Deus.” As it was a big umbrella, his broad shoulders were fully covered. Thanks to this umbrella he could happily tour around Hasedera Temple in the afternoon and said at the end, “Thank God.”
[Spots] Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine, Hasedera Temple, Kotokuin Temple (Great Buddha)
[Visitors] 54 JICA participants from 13 countries, with 17 from Cambodia, 12 from Turkey, 9 from Ukraine, 3 from Brazil, 2 each from Costa Rica, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, and 1 each from El Salvador, Ghana, Guatemala, Indonesia, Nicaragua, and Thailand
1 special participant who is responsible to Kamakura guiding in JICE
[Attendants] 22 KSGG members and 4 observers
It was a cold and rainy winterlike day. It must have been too cold for the participants from tropical countries; they all bought gloves and umbrellas soon after arriving at Kamakura. The participants from Cambodia who came to Kamakura for the first time looked around the unusual scenes pleasantly despite the cold.
At Hasedera Temple and Kotokuin, the participants from Buddhist countries said, looking at the goddesses and the Great Buddha and taking pictures of them, “We have those statues in our country, too. How beautiful they are!” It seems that the participants from Turkey, who had learned of a Turkish restaurant at Komachi-dori, had lunch there.
A Turkish restaurant discovered at Komachi-dori.
At lunch time, together with twelve participants from Turkey, we looked for a Turkish restaurant, finding one by the Torii to Komachi-dori. The restaurant, which was decorated with the Turkish national flag, had a sign named “ARKADAS.” At the restaurant, Turkish TV programs had been relayed through the Internet. They looked relaxed at once, feeling as if they were back home. Surrounded by those Turkish people, we also felt as if we were touring around in Turkey. “ARKADAS” means “FRIENDSHIP,” they said, and treated us to Turkish lunch. As we said, “Tesekkur ederim,” which means “Thank you” and which we had just learned from them, they were very much pleased about it. It rained heavily, but, thanks to them, we were all in a pleasant, warmhearted mood. I had not guided anyone for a long time, but I could fully enjoy it.
A thank-you letter from a Turkish participant who wanted to meet a “SAMURAI”
As I had explained that Kamakura was formed by SAMURAI, a Turkish participant said seriously at Kotokuin, “Can I meet a SAMURAI?” “Yes, you can, but only in movies,” I replied to him. As he also wanted to buy a Japanese sword, I said, “You can buy one at a souvenir shop near the temple.” Then I added, “You can take it out from Narita Airport, but it may be confiscated at a Turkish airport. It depends on the regulation of your country, though.” He gave up getting it, but one of his friends bought one with the length of 30 cm.
He gave me the following thank-you letter:
- - - - - - - - - -
I am very fine, thank you for your message.
Although it was a rainy day, I enjoy Kamakura tour a lot. It was a perfect day with your guidance. As I like history and to learn about different cultures, it was a magnificent experience for me and also for my friends. We also congratulate KSGG Volunteers for the efforts to make your culture alive. I see the photos, they are very nice. I will send the link to my friends. Today, we are in Wakayama and we will arrive Tanabe tomorrow. We hope to see you again, maybe in Turkey to taste all delicious Turkish meal. I would like to thank again, for your guidance and photos.
Please send our best regards to all KSGG Volunteers.
Best regards,
- - - - - - - - -

“An umbrella” --- A Gift from God!
I guided three Brazilians this time. They were rather quiet for Brazilians, probably
because they are professors of a university in Recife, a beautiful port located in the
north-eastern region of the country. As they hardly know rain, they don’t care about
any freezing rain. A male professor, who did not have an umbrella, persisted, “I have a black-bristled mountain cap. I don’t need an umbrella.” I worried about his wet shoulders and, though he was taller, I tried to get him under my umbrella. However, it only covered one of his shoulders and mine. Then, we happened to find a brown, check umbrella hanging on the hedge behind Hachimangu Shrine. As it was lunch time, the three Brazilians, who were in Japan, wanted to have Japanese food, and we went into a noodle restaurant, tasting hot noodles and quenching our thirst with a cup of sake and a glass of beer. When we got out of the restaurant, it was raining harder, but, fortunately, the abandoned umbrella was still there. I picked it up and handed it to him, saying, “This is a gift from God. You can use it.” He said, smiling, “Graças a Deus.” As it was a big umbrella, his broad shoulders were fully covered. Thanks to this umbrella he could happily tour around Hasedera Temple in the afternoon and said at the end, “Thank God.”